7 Seas Speech-Language Pathology Services
Improve Your Communication Skills With Evidence Based Research
Accent Modification, page 2:
How do accents affect communication?
Accents reflect the unique characteristics and background of a person. Many people take great pride in their accents. However, some people may have difficulty communicating because of their accent. These difficulties include the following:
- People not understanding you
- Avoiding social interaction with those who may not understand you
- Frustration from having to repeat yourself all the time
- People focusing on your accent more than on what you are trying to say
These types of communication problems may have negative effects on job performance, educational advancement, and everyday life activities. It may also negatively affect your self-esteem if you are having trouble communicating because of an accent. For all of these reasons, some people want to modify or change their accent.
Can I change my accent?
Yes, with lots of hard work, practice and the help of a qualified Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP), you can learn how to change your speech pronunciation. Changing your accent is also known as "accent modification" or "accent reduction." An SLP can provide services to speakers who want to modify or reduce their accent. People who receive these types of services include the following:
- Non-native English speakers
- Speakers who want to reduce a regional accent
- Business and medical professionals who want to improve their communication skills because of a foreign or regional accent
- Actors who need to learn a new accent for a role or performance